Diversity and Inclusion
DIVERSITY: Why does “it” matter? What can “it” do for your organization?
6 amazing benefits to individuals and companies with a diverse workforce improved
- Creativity- employees from all sorts of different backgrounds get to learn from their colleagues’ experiences from a different perspective. With so many different and diverse minds coming and working together, many more solutions will arise as every individual brings in their personal way of thinking, operating and solving problems and making decision. According to Josh Bersin’s research, inclusive companies are 1.7 times more likely to be innovation leaders in their market.
- Improved employee engagement- When your employees are sharing their personal experiences when they were in high school or what each or every festive season meant to them, they have built a trusting relationship among their colleagues.
- Increase productivity- diversity brings in different talents together, all of them working towards a common goal using different approaches to and ways of viewing organizational challenges and goals.
- Improved company reputation- companies who recruit and encourage individuals from a wide range of backgrounds generally gain a reputation as a good employer and better corporate citizen. Plus, the ability to relate to global clients better on a personal or cultural level.
- Increased profits- a 2013 survey undertaken by think tank Center for Talent Innovation, found that 48% of companies in the US with more diversity at senior management level improved their market share then previous years, while only 33% companies with less diverse management reported similar growth.
- Larger Candidate Pool- Employers that embrace cultural diversity in the workplace ensures a wider pool of candidates.
Ideas to Improve your companies Diversity and Inclusion profile
- Review your D&I strategic Plan
- Create an intentional D&I Talent Acquisition Strategy
- Focus on creating an environment where you can retain your employees from a D&I perspective this may require some review of existing policies and a review of the organization informal structures.
- Lead by example- D&I starts with the leadership of the organization. For employees to feel comfortable in the workplace, leaders should feel comfortable connecting with each employee and their humanity. This is especially important to Millennials
- Recognize and Celebrate different background – One simple way to show employees that a company values their differences is to invite them to share their cultures thru office gatherings or special themed workdays.