INSHRM MARCH MEETING
March 09, 2021
11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Add to Calendar
Inland Northwest Society for Human Resource Management
Leading with Laughs: Using Humor to put the "Human" in HR
Speaker: David Horning
Combining 8 years of comedy and a passion for positive psychology, David Horning is on a mission to transform workplace culture as a keynote speaker and humor consultant. For over 6 years, he has entertained and inspired audiences to use humor as a tool to adapt to change, relieve stress, and spark creative collaboration across the country, including for Wyndham Hotels, ShurTech Brands, and DisruptHR with presentations that turn traditional leadership on its head. He is the founder of Water Cooler Comedy, a company offering keynotes, corporate comedy shows, training programs, and leadership consulting.
In addition to speaking, David continues to perform stand-up, has been featured in comedy festivals, and hosts a podcast called “You Can’t Laugh At That” where he invites fellow comedians and business leaders to discuss the art and science of using humor to prove that any topic can be funny. He also regularly appears on leadership and HR podcasts, including HR After Dark, The Chad & Cheese Podcast, and The Indigo Podcast. He is currently working on his first book.
Between pandemics and emerging trends in the 21st century workplace, HR is being forced to pivot, leading to an increase in workload, stress, and pessimism. What if you had a tool at your disposal that could relieve your stress while boosting your team’s engagement levels, creativity, and productivity?
We’ve been conditioned to believe that "work isn't the time or place to laugh,” but this outdated adage hampers our creativity and has a demotivating effect on our ability to deal with uncertainty and solve problems. Backed by science and paired with funny stories about learning the hard way, you'll learn from a humor expert and comedian why humor is a vital leadership skill and how to use it to turn your workplace into one of creativity, collaboration, and fun that will engage and inspire you and your team. You don't even have to be funny to do it!
*2-drink minimum not included*
- The 4 reasons why addressing employee engagement in new ways is so important and why it’s urgentto think outside of the box in the 21st century workplace for recruiting, engaging, and retaining millennials and Gen-Z employees.
- The 5 hallmarks of the demotivating transactional management model and the innovation-inspiring human leadership model.
- How to define humor and why it inspires creativity and engagement in the workplace.
- A simple life hack (AKA a "laugh hack") for creating a perspective shift to better face adversity and adapt to change.
- 9 guidelines for incorporating humor effectively into your workplace culture.
*Pending Approval for 1 General HRCI Credit / 1 SHRM Certification Credit*
$10.00 INSHRM Member Ticket ($10.00)
$15.00 Non-Member General Ticket ($15.00)
$10.00 Additional INSHRM Member Ticket ($10.00)